Cartier’s Love bracelet is one of the most iconic pieces of jewelry every designed and also the most popular one! In 2016, this bracelet was the most Googled piece of jewelry in the entire world. The Cartier bracelet has been popular ever since the release but thanks to many celebrities like Kylie Jenner, this GEM has gotten even more popular! We think literally everyone wants to own one… So here are 10 facts that will help you with daydreaming about this gorgeous bracelet. And you might be lucky and see this beauty on our website for less than the retail price!
1. The Love bracelet wasn’t designed at Cartier’s headquarters in Paris, as usually would’ve been done. It was designed at the brand’s New York workshops in 1969.
2. The Love bracelet was the first piece that designer Aldo Cipullo created for Cartier. After the success of this beauty, he went on to design the also very beloved Juste un Clou bracelets.
3. Cipullo wanted to revolutionize the manner of wearing jewelry. During the time period that the Love bracelet was designed, it was very common for people to choose jewelry that would perfectly match the outfit. However, the Love bracelet wasn’t meant to coordinate with any outfit. It was made to be worn day or night.
4. The bracelet is slightly different in its shape than your normal bracelet. This is because it was designed in the shape of an oval in order to fit as closely as possible to someone’s wrist. It was furthermore intended to be worn by both men and women. The Love Bracelets were referred to as ‘the modern love handcuffs’ because they are secured using a screwdriver.
5. The bracelets were originally made of silver and then plated in gold, but it didn’t took Cartier long before they started producing solid gold versions.
6. The Love bracelet features the distinctive round screws, when any fashion lover sees this, they probably know that you’re wearing a Cartier bracelet rightaway. The screws that are featured on the bezel of Cartier’s Santos watch inspired these iconic round screws on the Love bracelet.
7. When the bracelet was first launched, Cartier gave pairs of them to some of the most influential and famous couples of the 20th century. This was a great way of creating buzz and promotion via celebrities is still extremely valued these days.
8. Rumor goes that Cartier once had a policy that prohibited customers from buying Love bracelets for themselves, they could only be purchased by a couple. Nowadays, there still is some sort of unspoken rule that you shouldn’t buy a Love bracelet for yourself but more and more people tend to ignore this and why not? You should treat yourself once in a while!
9. The Love bracelets originally didn’t have serial numbers but due to a large number of counterfeits, Cartier didn’t have any other choice but to start engraving each bracelet with a unique number that is kept on file.
10. Rumor has it that some hospitals in New York City keep Love bracelet screwdrivers on hand, just in case they need to remove the pieces from patients in an emergency.