At the age of twelve, Chrisitan Louboutin wasn’t a sweetheart at all. He had already been expelled from school three times and left his parents’ house soon after. But how did Christian turn from being a badass to being one of the most influential shoe designers of the world?
In the 1980’s Louboutin began working for Charles Jourdan. He taught him all the ins and outs of the shoe business. After this he became an apprentice for Roger Vivier (who claims to have invented the stiletto).
In 1991 Christian Louboutin opened his very first store. But where did these signature red-soled Loubies come from? As the story goes, Christian was inspired by his assistent. As she was painting her nails in a bright red color, Mr. Louboutin snatched the nail polish from her hands and began to paint the sole with the lacquer. And so the bright red became the signature color of Louboutin. “The shiny red color of the soles has no function other than to identify to the public that the heels are made by Louboutin. I selected the color because it is engaging, flirtatious, memorable, and the color of passion”.
No other than the Princess of Monaco was his first real customer. The Princess unleashed a true rage on the red soles. The now famous Louboutins are worn by famous designers like Diane von Fürstenberg, and many celebs such as Beyoncé, Mila Kunis and Kim Kardashian. Nowadays Christian Louboutin is the most searched for shoe brand online!
“I wanted to create something that broke rules and made women feel confident and empowered”. You sure did, mister Louboutin!
5 things you didn't know about Louboutin:
1. Christian Louboutin boutiques are taking over all the vacation destinations. You can buy your red soled shoes all over the world!
2. Christian Louboutin is not just for women. You can also buy men shoes at his boutiques!
3. Christian Louboutin designs more than just shoes. He also designes handbags that are lined with red leather.
4. He is definitely not a fan of your au naturel look. "Being natural is is like being unsophisticated" he once said.
5. He never thinks of clothes when designing. “I do like fashion, but when I’m designing, I never think of clothes."
Is your life in need of some red soles? Browse through our entire collection at Designer-Vintage.